Drawing for Children is an award-winning drawing program for children ages 3 to 12 (for example, key stages 1 and 2). It combines an easy-to-use interface, fun sound effects, and an encouraging cartoon mascot who guides children as they use the program.
Children are presented with a blank canvas and a variety of drawing tools to help them be creative.
* A number of useful drawing tools are made available. (See Drawing Tools, below)
* The drawing canvas is a fixed size, so the user doesn't need to worry about 'pixels' or 'inches' when making a new picture
* The entire program fits on a screen as small as 640x480, and can be displayed full-screen, to hide the computer's underlying 'desktop' interface. (It defaults to 800x600 mode, but can run at larger sizes and in portrait or landscape mode, as well)
* Loading and saving of images is done using thumbnails, so no knowledge of the underlying operating system's file system structure is needed. Even filenames are unnecessary
* Fun sound effects are played when tools are selected and used
* A cartoon penguin, appears at the bottom to give tips, hints and information
Paint brush, Rubber stamp, Line tool, Shape tool, Text tool, 'Magic' (special effects) tool, Eraser and Undo
Save, Open, Slides, Starters and Print
Parental and Teacher Controls
* Run the software in full-screen mode, or have it 'grab' the mouse pointer, to prevent children from accidentally accessing other programs or files on the desktop.
* Sound effects can be disabled.
* The Print and Quit options can be disabled.
* Alternatively, the Print option can be limited to allow only one print every n minutes.
* The software cannot be launched more than once every 30 seconds, to prevent multiple copies from being run accidentally, due to over-eager mouse clicking.
* The directory/folder where the software saves files may be changed. This can be used to save pictures in a student's home directory on a network drive or shared drive, rather than locally on one particular workstation.
* Stamps, starters and brushes are stored using popular open formats (PNG, SVG, Ogg Vorbis, etc.) allowing parents and teachers to create their own content for use at home or in the classroom - even using completely free tools.
* and much more...
* Windows XP
* Windows Vista
* Windows 7
* Windows 8
* Windows 8.1
* Windows 10